Cheerleading team steps up this year following victory in counties

After a high-flying fall season, the cheerleading team has soared into winter season with new confidence and fresh talent.

The squad took this year’s upcoming season especially seriously, doing work outside of practice to go above and beyond their usual stunts. The team has attracted many new teammates and has worked on new routines and cheers. They have also been working on building interest in underclassmen by expanding the cheer program to younger generations.

The Vikes returned nine girls from last season, picked up eight girls for the fall season, and then six more with winter tryouts, including sophomore Kathryn Diamond, who said adjusting to the team was quick and stress-free.

“It was really easy coming onto the team, everyone was really nice and helpful in teaching me the cheers,” she said.

The Vikes approached the season intent upon improvement and got a head start over the summer when they attended the Pine Forest camp in Olyphant, PA. At the camp, they learned new cheers and worked on inversion stunts, which just became legal this year. During the season, the team practiced for two hours six days a week including Saturday, and attended private tumbling lessons together every Wednesday.

“The girls are really dedicated and they take a lot of time out of their social lives to be a part of this team,” coach Kristi McAleese said.

For the first time in twelve years, the squad placed in the Montgomery County Cheerleading Competition, coming in second behind the Rockville Rams.

“It was honestly one of the best feelings ever,” junior Karla Alvarado said. “We worked so hard so it was nice to know that all the hard worked had paid up.”

The Vikes’ routine was polished because of the head start they got in preparation for the competition, McAleese said. They established their routine in September, about a month earlier than last year.

“We got a really good head start on our routine this year,” senior Matilda Epstein said. “We had everything in place so that we could practice and make it perfect.”

The Vikes are looking to build interest in cheerleading at Pyle and local elementary schools with their fundraising tactics. On Jan. 26 the squad offered a cheer clinic at Shockwave Allstars in Rockville, where they taught elementary and middle school girls cheers, along with stunts, jumps and a dance.

The team will also pass down cheer knowledge in its Junior Vikes Program, where they will teach some cheers and jumps to three girls from LFI, who will perform with the Vikes at some of the basketball games.

The team is led by seniors Maddie Carrington and Epstein, who hold team bonding events and dinners, and ensure the team is cohesive and on task during practices.

“They really step up and show great leadership skills,” McAleese said. “They are great role models and leaders to how I want the squad being run.”

The Vikes scored second place in the advanced high school varsity division of their Feb. 9 competition at the University of Maryland, behind the Clarksburg Coyotes, who had a last-minute switch into the Vikes’ division after they performed their cheer. However, the Vikes, who are ranked D-III, succeeded in coming ahead of the D-I Northwest Jaguars.

The Vikes perform new cheers at the basketball games, and for the first time on Feb. 8, performed a routine at halftime. Look out for the Vikes at the girls basketball state tournament, they’re on a roll.