Girls basketball overcomes Blair 46-43, advances to next round of playoffs

The girls basketball team blazed past the 11-13 Blair Blazers with a score of 46-43 Feb. 25 in the Maryland 4A West Quarterfinals, improving its record to 19-4 and moving to the second round of playoffs.

The game started out with strong defensive plays from both teams, which kept the game tied at 0-0. Linn Bumpers broke the scoreless streak with a layup at the three-minute mark and gave the Vikes the lead.

“Blair came out really strong,” guard Kim Durante said. “Though we weren’t expecting it, we knew we had to push through because we wanted it more than them.”

Though the Blazer’s aggressive trap defense was effective, the Vikes were still able to break inside for layups and drew out many fouls.

Guard Marissa Cannon scored on three consecutive possessions. After shooting a layup, she stole the ball on the next possession and was fouled, and sent to the line to sink two. Then forward Marie Hatch stole the ball and sent it to Cannon for another layup.

The Vikes’ half court man defense successfully made many steals off of the Blazers. Forward Avery Witt pulled down several defensive rebounds and boxed out her opponents effectively.

The second half ensued with more aggression on both sides. Guard Nicole Fleck drove the ball to the basket against four Blazers, and shot from the foul line. Durante and Hatch each sank three pointers.

“Realizing that this was potentially our last game caused us to push ourselves at the end,” Durante said.

The Vikes were ahead by three with 12.3 seconds left, and Durante was fouled and managed to make both shots, solidifying the Vikes’ win. Though the Blazers scored another layup after, the game ended with the Vikes victorious.

The Vikes will take on the 18-5 Walter Johnson Wildcats in the regional semifinals at home Feb. 27.