Kaveeshwar sinks buzzer beater for boys basketball victory over Blair

The boys’ basketball team defeated the Blair Blazers 48-47 Feb. 12 away, improving its record to 11-9.
Captain Daniel Lowet and guard Samir Kaveeshwar carried the Vikes to victory, keying a comeback victory in the fourth quarter.

Lowet started off by scoring the team’s first 8 points as the Vikes jumped out to an 8-2 lead early in the first quarter. The Blazers fought back in the second quarter making it 23-22 at halftime.

The momentum was with Blair in the third quarter, as the Blazers took their first lead of the game 32-31.

“We have to credit Lowet and Andrew Castagnetti for getting inside all night,” Kaveeshwar said.

It was him, however, who led the Vikes to victory in the fourth quarter. Trailing by 5 with just one minute remaining, Kaveeshwar nailed two three pointers in the last 35 seconds, including one with 2.5 seconds left to win the game.

“I just kept shooting,” he said.

After tremendous offensive performances from Lowet and Kaveeshwar, the team’s tight man defense in the final moments of the game cemented the win. The boys held Blair to just two points in the last minute, allowing them to get the comeback victory.

“We packed in our man defense all night,” Kaveeshwar said. “And that’s what allowed us to win.”

The boys hope to extend their winning streak to three when they take on the 8-12 Blake Bengals at home February 15.