Girls basketball defeats Richard Montgomery, 46-35

The girls basketball team avenged its previous loss to the 5-11 Richard Montgomery Rockets with a 46-35 win Jan. 30. The Vikes’ record now stands at 13-3.

“The first time we lost to them it was all our mistakes, but between our last game and this one we learned how to fix everything,” forward Dani Okon said. “Our hard work really paid off.”

The Vikes began the game with tight defense and penetrating offense, getting unchallenged shots. Guard Brittany Fleck scored two open jump shots in a row, and guard Kim Durante stole the ball on defense and dribbled the length of the court for a layup.

By the end of the first half, the Vikes led 24-12.

The Vikes kept the Rockets on their toes with a full-court zone press. The Vikes moved smoothly on defense, able to recover from picks with quick switches.

However, the Rockets began to catch up in the third quarter. Using their height advantage, they were able to get the ball inside the paint and draw many fouls.

The teams clashed in the fourth quarter, and as the game neared its end with the Vikes in the lead, the Rockets’ defense got sloppy.

Guard Maddie Cannon was fouled three times as she dribbled the ball down the court. Because the Rockets’ team fouls had accumulated and surpassed the bonus, she Cannon stepped up to the foul line to shoot 1-1.

Cannon sank 5-6 from the line and the Vikes held the last possession of the ball to run the clock out.

“Now we just need to beat B-CC next week and if we do that then we win the division which is a huge goal for us,” Okon said.

The Vikes will travel to face the 6-10 Springbrook Devils Feb. 1.