House fire breaks out in Carderock, one resident is hospitalized

A house fire erupted Jan. 31 around 5:45 a.m. on the 7700 block of Glenmore Spring Road in Carderock Springs.

A house fire broke out in the garage of a house in a Carderock neighborhood. Both residents survived, though one was taken to the hospital with burns. Photo courtesy Zachary Raeburn.

Montgomery County firefighters rescued a resident of the house after the fire broke out in the garage of the home and spread throughout the left side of the house.

The fire was extinguished around 6 A.M. and remains under investigation. No official cause of the fire is known yet, according to the Washington Post. A news helicopter hovered around the Bethesda neighborhood for twenty minutes after the event.

One of the two residents was pulled out of the home by firefighters and was treated for smoke inhalation by the rescue crew on the scene. Both of the women who live in the house had escaped, but the victim had gone back inside for her dog, said the other resident, who wishes to remain anonymous.

Though the victim’s injuries aren’t life-threatening, she was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation. Authorities said strong winds may have had to do with the creation of the fire, according to WUSA-9.

Senior Zachary Raeburn, who lives a few houses down, saw the fire in the morning and noticed that several people were out watching the event.

“It was really scary,” Raeburn said. “I feel really bad for the people who own the house since it was a crazy situation.”