Ice hockey falls to Walter Johnson, 5-3

The 6-4-2 ice hockey team lost to the Walter Johnson Wildcats by a final score of 5-3 Jan. 25 at Rockville Ice Arena.

With 7:28 remaining in the period, Walter Johnson’s Jessy Gendelman scored the lone goal of the period giving the Wildcats the 1-0 lead. To open up the second period, Viking captain Lucas Karron scored his first goal of the game to tie it one goal apiece.

Then, with 12:35 remaining in the period, Karron scored another goal off an assist from forward Andy Dexter. The Vikings could not keep their lead as Walter Johnson’s Drew Orlich scored a few minutes later. With 7:18 to go in the second, Karron scored his third and final goal of the night, giving him a hat trick.

To open up the third period, Orlich scored his second goal of the night to make the game 3-3. Almost six minutes later, brother Jon Orlich netted a goal to give the Wildcats the lead, 4-3. In the final 5 minutes of the game, Wildcat Brando Kobernick sealed their victory with the last goal of the game.

Freshman goalie Matthew Derry played all 45 minutes of the game for the Vikings, allowing five goals on 21 shots.

The Vikings look to rebound from the loss when they take on rival B-CC Feb. 1 on Senior Night and Cabin John Ice Rink.