Boys basketball crushes Wootton, 59-39

The boys’ basketball team crushed the Wootton Patriots 59-39 Jan. 28, improving its record to 9-6.

Point guard Max Steinhorn dribbles the ball in a game against Wootton. The boys won, 59-39. Photo by Billy Bird.

After a lowly 1-5 start, the Vikes have won eight out of their last nine games, with its one loss against rival Churchill. The team is now tied with the Walter Johnson Wildcats for second place in the division.

Wootton came into the game determined to get a statement victory, but fell short to a dominant Whitman squad. Their lead expanded in the second half as guards Max Steinhorn and Billy Lee ran a fluid offense that gained momentum for the Vikes. Guard Robby Lund provided a spark off the bench, scoring five points.

“We started off a little shaky but Andrew and Liam steadied us and we fed off their energy,” Lund said. “Max also played an amazing second half and really helped us build the lead.”

Captain Andrew Castagnetti and guard Liam Hatch led the team offensively, scoring 20 and 13 points respectively.

“This was a big win that we had to have and we got it,” Castagnetti said. “Everyone did their role to get us a huge win.”

The team looks ahead to its next two games against Richard Montgomery Jan. 30 and Springbrook Feb. 1.