Girls basketball no. 1 in 4A South after beating Wootton 52-40

The girls basketball team conquered the 12-4 Wootton Patriots 52-40 Jan. 28, having previously lost to them by 10 Jan 8. The Vikes boosted their record to 12-3 and beat out the Patriots for first place in Montgomery 4A South division.

Guard Maddie Cannon weaves through Wootton players with the ball. The girls are no. 1 in 4A South after winning 52-40. Photo by Billy Bird.

“We came out a little flat last time and just couldn’t recover, so we were determined to set the tone for the game,” guard Kim Durante said. “We were really excited to play them again, especially at home.”

The Vikes came out strong from the beginning. With their half court man defense, the Patriots were unable to score until late in the first quarter. The Vikes, however, were breaking past the Patriots and found many holes in their defense.

Guard Brittany Fleck, high scorer of the game for the Vikes with 15 points, scored the first points of the game by sinking two foul shots.

The Vikes lead 26-21 in the first half and extended their lead in the second, doubling their score.

Durante, who is currently ranked by the Washington Post as the fifth highest scorer for three-point field goals, made a crafty play as she dribbled by defenders to send a swift hook shot into the basket. Durante had six points.

“We all played really hard and came out with a lot of intensity,” Durante said. “Everyone contributed to the win, which is an awesome feeling.”

Next, the Vikes will play the 5-10 Richard Montgomery Rockets Jan. 30 at home.