Boys basketball loses to Churchill, 57-36

The boys basketball team fell to the Churchill Bulldogs 57-36 Jan. 22, dropping its record to 8-6 and ending its seven game win streak.

The Vikes’ loss almost ensures that the Bulldogs will win the division, unless they lose one of their next two games to either Walter Johnson or Wootton.

Whitman fell behind immediately at the start of the game, but closed the early lead and kept the score close in the first half.

Churchill never took its foot off the gas, flooring the Vikes and eventually pulling away in the second half.

“It was a tough night for us,” coach Chris Lun said. “We didn’t play well offensively, we struggled to get in our sets, and we just couldn’t get into a rythym.”

The little offense that the Vikes had came from captains Andrew Castagnetti and Liam Hatch, scoring nine and ten points respectively. Brothers Daniel and Adam Lowet added five and four points, while guards Adam Joel, Robby Lund, Alec Szparaga and forward Anton Casey each added two points off the bench.

The team’s next two games take place at home against rivals B-CC and Wootton; ready to fight for victories, the Vikes hope to solidify their playoff position.

“These next two games will be big for us,” Lun said. “I know they are up for the challenge of finishing the year strong and making a big playoff push.”

The team faces the B-CC Barons at 5:15 p.m. Jan. 25 before the girls game.