Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Wizards continue to disappoint DC fans

Once stuck with a perennially pathetic football team and without any baseball team at all, Washington sports are making a comeback. With the National’s victory in the NL east, Bryce Harper’s selection as rookie of the year, and RGIII making his rookie-of-the-year defeat of the New York Giants on Thanksgiving, there’s still one blight on DC’s record: the Washington Wizards.

After last year’s embarrassing 20-46 record, the Wizards were poised to make a change this season. In addition to making key trades like dead weight forward Rashard Lewis and a draft pick for center Emeka Okafor and forward Trevor Ariza from the Hornets, Washington then drafted third pick guard Bradley Beal. These new developments injected some hope into the Wizard’s long-suffering fan base before the season began.

But with playmaker John Wall out indefinitely with a knee injury, the new players have been struggling to meet their expectations. . Despite a quarter-long burst of energy and fourteen points Dec. 7 against the Atlanta Hawks, Beal has yet to make much of an impression. The result has been a disastrous 2-15 record, with a 0-12 start. Losing guard AJ Price hasn’t helped, giving ballhog Jordan Crawford even more of a chance to play selfish basketball.

Fans recently got a glimpse of hope when they took down the defending league champions the Miami Heat Dec. 4. The Heat are off to another incredible start with a 13-5 record, and leading the Southeast division yet again. Heat stars LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh had a combined 70 points, but the Wizards limited the other members of the team, and led in rebounds, assists and steals.

The Wizards have shown that they have talent and potential, they just have no idea what to do with it. If they hope to break .500 this year, the Wizards need to play more cohesively, before their record becomes even more embarrassing.