Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

“Johnny Football” wins Heisman trophy

The legend of “Johnny Football” continued Dec. 8 when he won the prestigious Heisman trophy. Johnny Manziel, who recently turned 20, is the first freshman to win the award.

The Heisman trophy is awarded seasonally to the best athlete in college football. Manziel, who only last year was a red-shirted freshman, beat out Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o by 153 first place votes, and Kansas State QB Colin Klein by 414 first place votes.

Some argue that Te’o or Klein should’ve won because Manziel is only a freshman. Although he did have an outstanding season, he doesn’t have four years of accomplishments like the other two candidates. But there’s no arguing with the statistics: Johnny Football threw for 3,419 yards and 24 touchdowns, while also running for 1,181 yards and 19 touchdowns. He is the first player in SEC history, and fifth in NCAA history, to throw for at least 3,000 yards and run for at least 1,000 in a season. Even runner-up Te’o called him a “human video game.”

Klein, who has been compared to RGIII and Tim Tebow, two previous trophy winners, was a Heisman favorite for much of the season. But buzz for Manziel grew over the course of the season, and culminated with a Texas A&M Aggie victory over Alabama Nov. 1, who as then the no. 1 team in the country.

Manziel battled for the starting spot at the beginning of the season, looking to replace Ryan Tannehill, who is now the quarterback for the Miami Dolphins.

He hopes to lead no. 10 Aggies (10-2) to a victory in the AT&T Cotton Bowl Jan. 14 when they face off against the Oklahoma Sooners.