International Club hosts second annual soccer tournament

The International Club organized a soccer tournament for the second straight year that took place Nov. 9 on the upper field behind the school.

Members of the International Club battle for the ball during their annual soccer tournament. The club donated their proceeds to the charity "Save The Children." Photo by Paula Ospina.

Team MK, composed of Luke Barber, David Cantwell, Gustavo Pessoa, Ryan Dean, Marco Olimpio, Louis Van Horoch, Jaime Millan and Stuart Dean, won for the second year in a row. MK beat their opponents, a team of boys varsity soccer players, in a penalty kick shoot-out.

The tournament expanded significantly from last year as 84 students signed up to make 13 teams. Over 30 others showed up to watch the competition, including students from other schools in the county.

A wide variety of students attended the tournament and competed, including boys and girls varsity soccer players from Whitman and other athletes that played for enjoyment.

“I hadn’t played soccer in a long time,” junior Drew Aherne said. “I thought it would be fun to sign up and join a team of my friends.”

The event proved to be a huge success, charged $7 per person and donating their funds to the charity “Save The Children,” an organization devoted to creating lasting change for children in need domestically and internationally.

Eventually the tournament was called off due to lack of light and Team MK was crowned the champion.

“Hopefully this event will become tradition,” Milan said. “This is a great way to get the Whitman community together.”