Girls soccer wins division title after defeating B-CC 2-1

The girls soccer team won the division championship after defeating the 9-1 B-CC Barons 2-1 at home Oct. 17, raising their record to 9-2 and solidifying a no. 3 seed in playoffs.

Forward Emma Anderson dribbles the ball up the field as the Vikes beat B-CC 2-1. Photo courtesy Tom Nalls.

The Vikes came into the game with the intention of repeating last year’s division championship in which they beat defending state champions B-CC 1-0 in double overtime. After a devastating loss to Churchill in the second round of playoffs, however, the girls didn’t get a chance to play the Barons again and stop them from winning a state title for the fourth year in a row.

The Barons, who were previously ranked no. 9 in the state by the Washington Post, displayed their speed and technical ability from the start of the game, but the Vikes’ penetrating offense set up several shots on goal.

“We possessed the ball well and had a lot of scoring opportunities,” defender Lottie Nalls said. “We beat their defenders a lot one-on-one.”

In the first half, forward Michelle Innerarity booted the ball across the goalie into the far post off of a corner kick to score the first goal of the game. The half ended with the Vikes ahead by one.

About midway through the second half, defender Emily Martin slid the ball past the Barons’ defensive line to forward Andrea McDonald. McDonald, followed by three defenders, had a quick breakaway, finishing a shot in the lower corner of the net.

With eight seconds to go, the Barons capitalized on a minute miscommunication between goalkeeper Erin McClanahan and the Vikes’ defense. The goal had little impact though, as the Vikes held the Barons back and pulled away with the division title.

The team plays the 8-1-2 National Cathedral Eagles at home Oct. 22 on Senior Night in its last match before playoffs.