Two starters injured after boys soccer falls to B-CC 2-1

The boys soccer team fell to the 2-4-3 B-CC Barons 2-1 in a disappointing game Oct. 17.

The Vikes came out fired up with a chance to clinch the top spot of the Montgomery 4A-South division with a win, but B-CC stole the spotlight early when they scored just four minutes into the game.

“They scored an early goal which stunned the entire team,” midfielder Grant Miller said. “We came back pressuring their defense which lead to the goal, but were unable to continue the aggressive play, allowing B-CC to attack our defense.”

The Vikings responded quickly, however, when Miller intercepted a pass deep in B-CC territory and beat the opposing keeper one-on-one to tie the game midway through the first half.

Just as the Vikes were beginning to regain momentum, defenders Yuta Nakagawa and Sam Pearl-Schwartz collided and were both pulled from the game with head injuries in the final minutes of the half.

Nakagawa is out for three weeks with a concussion, but Pearl-Shwartz will probably return after a few days off, forward Maximo Losada-Radley said.

In spite of strong efforts in the second half, the Vikes defense suffered from the loss of two defenders and were unable to stop the Baron’s offense from scoring again.

Goalkeeper Mark Cameron was able to push the ball, served on a free kick just outside of the penalty box, away from the net, but B-CC followed and finished the shot, taking a 2-1 lead that would hold the remainder the of the game.

The Vikings continued to fight and came close to equalizing the score in the second half as Losada-Radley and forward Olivier Petermann took several shots on goal, testing the Baron’s keeper.

After the tough loss, the Vikes look to end their regular season with a win when they take on the undefeated and nationally-ranked St. Benedict’s Oct. 20.