The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections
HVAC system malfunction causes evacuation, disrupts student testing
Girls lacrosse falls to Sherwood 10–9 in county championships
Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9

RIP Nats: 4/5/12-10/13/12

Unbelievable. Last night I witnessed one of the worst collapses in baseball history from section 141, row A, seat 14 in center field at Nationals Park.

The Nationals blew a two run lead against the St. Louis Cardinals at home. The winner of the game moved on to the National League Championship series, one step away from the World Series.

Junior Nick Sobel poses with George Washington. George lost to Teddy in the Presidents Race for one of the first times in his lengthy career. Photo by Nick Sobel.

I left my house in two t-shirts, a sweatshirt, a jacket, and a Nationals hat around 6:30, grabbed a bite to eat, and then headed to the park around 7:30. Parking was so difficult that it took us 45 minutes to find a spot and to get into the stadium. Lucky for us, we made it about ten minutes before the first pitch, just in time to see the National Anthem and ceremonial first pitch.

I had never seen so many Nats fans so fired up about a game. Fans screamed and cheered loudly as we pushed through the gates. A fire pit to warm fans in the 30 degree temperature underneath the center field score board let up smoke throughout the stadium.

It was finally time for the game to start. Gio Gonzalez, one of my favorite pitchers, was on the mound for the Nationals. Fans erupted as he ran out of the bullpen and fireworks shot up in the air. The Nationals took the field first. With a quick inning thanks to Gonzalez, the Nats headed to the dugout to bat.  Right fielder Jayson Werth led off and knocked a double to left on the third pitch. Then, struggling rookie Bryce Harper came up and hit a triple. The crowd went crazy as Werth crossed home plate for the first run of the game and fans cheered, “let’s go Nats!”

In the third inning, left fielder Michael Morse and third basemen Ryan Zimmerman homered. It was the loudest I had ever heard that stadium. The fan behind me was literally screaming in my ear and I can still hear it today. Unfortunately as the temperature got colder, so did Gio. Gonzalez started to pitch all over the place, making the crowd nervous after giving up a run.

After the top of the fourth, it was time for the President’s race. All four made their way out of the center field access gates and ran across the outfield. Teddy tripped and fell as the other three ran down the first base line, but it wasn’t over. The grounds crew came out and beat up the three while Teddy zoomed by to take the victory. It was the first time I had ever seen him win and it was probably the highlight of my season.

Relievers Craig Stammen, Edwin Jackson and Tyler Clippard all gave up runs making the game 6-5 heading into the bottom of the eighth. All 46,000 fans were biting our nails. The Nats were making this game way too close and it was so cold at this point that we all just wanted to celebrate, go home and sleep.  The eighth inning started around 11:30. Morse came up to the 1980’s song “Take On Me.” As tradition dictates, the crowd began to sing along to the song after it had stopped playing through the speakers. Morse drilled a single on the first pitch. Later in the inning, catcher Kurt Suzuki lined a single up the middle to give the Nats a more comfortable 7-5 lead heading into the ninth.

Well, this was it. The Nationals’ whole season was on the line. My stomach felt like it was about to drop to the peanut shell and beer covered floor. Ace closer Drew Storen came in to finish out the game. One batter grounded out for the first out with a runner on third, and the second batter struck out. The Nationals were one strike away from a trip to the National League Championship Series, but Storen couldn’t get the job done. He gave up four hits that inning to make the score 9-7. The fans behind me had stopped screaming, Cardinals fans jumped for joy, and my heart felt like it had stopped, but the game wasn’t over just yet. Heading to the bottom of the ninth, many fans were on the verge of crying. The collapse was so pathetic.

In the bottom of the ninth, Werth batted first and struck out. Bryce Harper came up and struck out. Lastly, Zimmerman came up to the plate with the season on his shoulders, and flew out to second base. The Cardinals cheered and ran to the mound to pile on their pitcher. I was at a loss for words.

Some people behind me said, “That’s so D.C.” I realized what they said is completely true. These collapses happen only to Washington franchises like the Capitals, Redskins and now the Nationals.

The reason this happens isn’t because the Nats are a terrible team; it’s that there are so many young and raw players. Only four players on the playoff roster have any postseason experience: Werth, first basemen Adam Laroche, pitcher Edwin Jackson and reliever Michael Gonzalez. Its bullpen is young and not mature enough for the playoffs yet.

Fans booed and screamed things not worth repeating at the Nationals, especially at Storen. When I turned around, most seats were empty as angry fans had already stormed out of the stadium to the parking lot, throwing their Natitude rally towels at the ground. Some fans remained sitting with tears in their eyes. We headed up the stairs and were greeted by happy Cardinals fans. In all honesty, the Cardinals’ comeback was incredible. It takes a World Series champion ball club to do something like that and that’s why it happened.

By the end of the game, it was close to 1:00. I was tired, cold, depressed, angry and happy all at the same time since I could finally go home and sleep. The Nats had a great run, but it’s done for now.

See you in April, Nats fans.