Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Boys soccer dominates powerhouse Walter Johnson, 2-0

With the attendance of DC United midfielder Chris Pontius, the boys soccer team shut out the undefeated Walter Johnson Wildcats Oct. 10, with a score of 2-0.

Forward Luke Barber battles for possession as the Vikings dominate the undefeated Walter Johnson Wildcats 2-0. Photo by Billy Bird.

Because Walter Johnson raised the most money last year for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society with Whitman as a close second, Pontius, who is a representative for an organization that works closely with the Society, came to support both teams as a reward for their schools’ donations.

“I was excited because I love DC United,” defender Yuta Nakagawa said. “Chris Pontius is my hero.”

The first half began with the Vikings predominantly on defense. The Wildcats kept goalie Mark Cameron busy, as they took shot after shot on goal.

Cameron was all over the net, stopping every ball that came his way, making several spectacular saves. Both teams were unable to score in the first half.

“We were a little sloppy in the first half,” midfielder Olivier Peterman said. “But [coach Dave Greene] told us to pick it up and we did.”

The Vikings raised the intensity in the second half, attacking more on goal. About midway into the half, a foul was called on the Wildcats near the penalty box.

Midfielder Andrew Wagman stepped up to take the free kick and served the ball into the box where defender Nathan Rackstraw headed it into the net.

The Vikes’ confidence grew, and they started to dominate the Wildcats defense. After weaving through defenders with skilled footwork, forward Davey Mason fired a shot from fifteen yards out deep into the left corner of the net to score the second and final goal.

“We had just lost to Wootton,” Peterman said, “so we were looking to bounce back and we did just that.”

The Vikes look forward to their next match against the 2-4-3 B-CC Barons on Oct. 17 in the Battle of Bethesda double header at home.