Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

California Tortilla opens at new location

One of Bethesda’s most popular restaurants celebrated the grand opening of its new, expanded location Tuesday.

Crowds of people came to snag a free meal at the California Tortilla opening Tuesday. The restaurant moved to a bigger lot at the corner of Norfolk and Cordell Avenues. Photo by Ben Zimmerman.

California Tortilla moved across the street to a larger location at the corner of Cordell and Norfolk Avenues. The new restaurant also gave away a free burrito and drink to all customers at the new location from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 5 to 8 p.m Tuesday.

The line for free burritos snaked down the block at the peak of the dinner rush. Customers enjoyed the new location and design. The free food was also a good incentive to come, junior Adam Lowet said.

“They revamped the interior design, and the free burritos were a great sales pitch,” Lowet said.

The old location, which opened in 1995, was the first California Tortilla franchise. There are now 35 locations across Maryland, D.C., Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Massachusetts.

The new location and opening has been a long time coming, but owners, staff, customers and Bethesda residents are all excited for the move, co-founder Pam Felix said.