Girls soccer loses battle against Churchill, 3-2

The girls soccer team lost a hard fought game against the 5-1-1 Churchill Bulldogs 3- 2 Oct. 3, dropping to a 5-2 record for the season.

The game opened with both teams playing hard. Churchill scored first on an own-goal by the Vikes, but midfielder Dani Okon followed with a spectacular header off a rebound from a direct kick into the box to tie the score at the half.

“We analyzed the first half and realized that we needed to switch the field quicker,” Okon said, “so we picked that up a little, which helped a lot.”

In the second half, however, it was the Bulldogs who broke the tie on a penalty kick, putting them in the lead again.

The Vikes were quick in retaliation, however, putting Churchill defenders on their heels. The Bulldogs booted the ball out-of-bounds several times, allowing the Vikes to move up the field through a series of well-placed throw-ins.

On the last pass, the Vikes skirted the defense and created an opportunity to score, but the Bulldogs’ goalie pulled off a spectacular save, punching the ball away. The rebound was juggled by several players, but forward Anna Gurney took control and sent a swift shot deep into the net to tie the game at 2-2.

For the next few minutes, the Vikes attacked with a series of shots on goal. Defender Clare Severe and forward Michelle Innerarity both had strong attempts, but none passed the keeper.

Late in the second half, the Bulldogs had a flurry of activity in front of the Vikings’ goal. As the ball flew toward the net, Innerarity blocked a shot with her hand, preventing the ball from going in. She received a red card for what was perceived as an intentional hand-ball, and the Bulldogs were awarded a penalty kick. They booted the ball into the left corner of the net, taking the lead at 3-2.

Down a man for the rest of the game, the Vikes fought valiantly, but they were unable to score another goal. Midfielder Aliza Wolfe headed the ball into the net, but the goal didn’t count because officials declared the ball out-of-bounds prior to the service into the box. The game ended with a score of 3-2.

“All three goals they scored on us were pretty unlucky, and unlike their goals, we deserved all of ours,” Okon said.

The girls look to bounce back from the tough loss when they travel to take on the 3-3 Richard Montgomery Rockets Oct. 5 away.