Girls soccer allows first loss of season against Good Counsel, 1-0

The girls soccer team fell to the nationally ranked 5-0 Good Counsel Falcons Sept. 22 with a final score of 1-0, lowering its record to 4-1.

Forward Andrea McDonald looks to push the ball past Good Counsel's defense. The Vikes lost a hard fought game to the Falcons 1-0 Sept. 21. Photo by Tom Nalls.

The Vikes came out determined, seeking revenge from a 4-0 loss against the Falcons at the end of the regular season last year.

The Falcons came out as aggressive as ever, but the Vikings challenged their skill by pressuring the ball and playing tough defense.

“The most important thing is that even when we made mistakes of any kind, everyone went after the ball and we never gave up,” defender Bahar Ulusan said.

Falcons forward Imani Dorsey was a target player for the Vikes. The team’s main focus on defense was to track her and make sure that she didn’t get any breakaways,Ulusan said.

Despite a resilient offensive and defensive effort, the Vikes let in an unfortunate goal in the first half, which ended up being the only goal of the game in favor of the Falcons.

In the second half, the Vikes played tough and managed to push into the Falcons’ defensive third many times, but were unable to capitalize, partially due to an outstanding performance by Falcons keeper Megan Hinz.

The team looks to bounce back Sept. 27 when it takes on the 0-3 Kennedy Cavaliers away.