Boys soccer remains undefeated, beats Poolesville 3-1

The boys soccer team continued their win streak Sept. 13, beating the 1-2 Poolesville Falcons 3-1 and preserving an undefeated record of 4-0.

The Vikes are yet to trail this season, as they once again scored the opening goal of the game. The Falcons committed a foul in the penalty box 20 minutes into the game, and forward Luke Barber converted the ensuing penalty kick.

The key to the Vikings offense was their unselfishness and distribution across the field.

“I think the movement of the ball and spreading out the field was crucial,” defender Jorge Richardson said. “For the first 20 minutes none of that was apparent, but after we got our first goal, you could see it develop really well.”

The Vikes hit halftime with a 1-0 lead, then came out and scored on a header by captain Spencer Meschter early in the
second half.

Poolesville answered with a goal with 15 minutes remaining, but Barber sealed the game with a second goal in the final minutes of the game.

Viking midfielder Oliver Petermann was knocked down during the game and had to be transported to the hospital. He is scheduled to be out for 7 to 10 days with concussion-like symptoms, Richardson said.

The team hopes the temporary loss of Petermann, who is one of the five players with goals so far this season, won’t hurt them as they take on the 1-3 Magruder Colonels away Sept. 20.