Football falls to Churchill, 33-9

The Vikes record fell to 0-2 after their visit to Churchill Sept. 7, enduring a 33-9 loss to the undefeated Bulldogs.

Linebacker Jack Calder struggles to reach the Churchill's quarter. The Bulldogs defeated the Vikings 33-9. Photo by Billy Bird.

Whitman and Churchill fans alike were bursting with excitement heading into the game, anticipating a historically exciting rivalry match-up. However, Churchill’s defensive back Joe Nolan quickly silenced Whitman’s packed cheering section, returning an interception for a touchdown on the Vikes opening drive.

Riding on the sudden shift of momentum, Churchill went up 20-0 midway through the second quarter, a deficit that was too great for the Vikings to overcome.

“We didn’t start off the way we wanted to,” Whitman defensive back Justin Knighton said. “If it wasn’t for a matter of a couple big plays early on, we would’ve been right in it with them.”

Kicker Zach Snyder broke the ice and gave Whitman fans something to cheer about, hitting a field goal before the end of the first half, for the second week in a row.

The Bulldogs continued to dominate in the second half, scoring two more touchdowns in the third quarter.

In spite of being down 30 points, the Vikes continued to fight in the fourth quarter, as quarterback Kevin McGowen found wide receiver Nick Newsham in the endzone, for the team’s first touchdown of the year.

“The team does show resilience and we are only two games into the season, so we look to get back after it next Friday,” Knighton said.

The Vikes look to rebound this Friday in a divisional match-up with the 0-2 Kennedy Cavaliers.