Senior Ryan Davison crowned Mr. Whitman

Flashing a smile in English class may not get you out of doing your homework, but it could win you a pageant. Senior Ryan Davison’s infectious grin won him the Mr. Whitman 2012 title May 18.

Senior Ryan Davison flashes a heart-stopping grin during Mr. Whitman. Fourteen senior boys competed for the title of Mr. Whitman May 18. Photo by Abigail Cutler.

Science teacher Julie Frank, English teachers Prudence Crewdson and Matthew Bruneel and former contestant Adam Polis served as judges to narrow the 14 senior contestants down to a final champion.

“I was pretty nervous throughout the process because my name kept getting called last,” Davison said. “I do think my smile won me the prize; my cute factor was very crucial.”

The competition included formal wear, talent and personal interview. The judges were responsible for choosing the candidate who most embodied Mr. Whitman and excelled at each of these categories. Though Davison won the ultimate title of Mr. Whitman, senior Sam Woodbury was crowned Mr. Congeniality for his cute appeal.

Before the competition started, the contestants strutted onto the stage in pink t-shirts for an explosive opening dance number that included songs by Nicki Minaj and One Direction.

Competitors impressed the audience and judges during the formal wear portion with a short bio, fancy frock and an escort. Each contestant also used a pickup line on Mistresses of Ceremonies seniors Erin Holden and Allie Klein. Joe Lilek earned an ovation for his clever joke.

“If you were a booger, I’d pick you first,” Lilek said.

Senior Michael Flack performs his talent, a dance to a Backstreet Boys song. The contestants rapped, danced and more during the talent portion of the pageant. Photo by Abigail Cutler.

The talent portion of the contest also incited a huge applause from the audience. Memorable acts included Andrew Feder’s rendition of “Let’s Get it On” by Marvin Gaye and Solomon Parker’s comprehensive display of four of his talents: singing, impressions, dancing, and “pomming.” Davison stole the audience with his recreation of a home video of him and his older sister dancing to the Spice Girls classic, “Wannabe.” He and his sister recreated the dance as the original home video played on screen.

The contenders’ personalities shone through during the pre-recorded interview portion. After the interviews, judges narrowed the competition down to seven. All semi-finalists were then asked questions. While Parker mentioned taking off his POMS vest as a difficulty in his life, Feder told the audience he’d love to marry Grace Kelly or take Ms. Frank to prom.

After the semi-finalist interviews, the MCs invited the judges to make comments on their favorite acts. The judges then chose a final three to compete for the title of Mr. Whitman. The finalists were asked just one question: If you win Mr. Whitman, what will your legacy be? Davison responded eloquently, rendering swoons and sighs from the audience.

“My legacy would be my smile, as long as it can make one person happier,” he said.

Principal Alan Goodwin thought the show was fun and entertaining. He especially enjoyed the talent of senior Michael Flack, who danced to a Backstreet Boys song with several other senior boys.

“Mr. Whitman’s been in existence for over a decade,” Goodwin said. “It’s just a really neat event.”

Davison said it feels great to be Mr. Whitman and that it’s an excellent way to represent the school. He offered a few words of advice to future contestants.

“Be yourself,” he said. “Find one special thing about you and stick to it.”

[imagebrowser id=94]