Track and Field members qualify for states

Whitman hosted the 4A West Regional Track and Field championship on Wednesday and Thursday, and dominated the girls long distance races with three events qualifying for the state championships.

Runners from local schools sprint during the regional championship. Whitman hosted the 4A West Regional Track and Field championship Wednesday and Thursday. Photo courtesy Jamey Harman.

On Day 1,  senior Caroline Guiot won the 3200-meter race with a time of 11.26. Guiot was also the regional champion in this event during the  indoor track season.

In the girls 4×800-meter relay, the Whitman squad of freshmen Lela Walter and Clare Severe, and seniors Anna Ryba and Caroline Guiot beat Northwest by two seconds to win the championship with a time of 9.25.

“We found a really solid group of four girls and I’m really excited to see what we can do at states,” Clare Severe said. “I’m sure next year we’ll have a great season because everyone has been running so well.”

On Day 2,  Severe won the 1600-meter race with a personal record of 5.07, one of the top three 1600-meter times recorded by a Whitman runner in recent years.

In the boys 1600-meter race, senior Park Lippold ran a personal record time of 4.48. Senior Madeleine Entwistle also set a personal record time of 15.30, placing fifth in the 100 meter hurdles.

Out of the thirteen schools at the meet, the Northwest girls team and Clarksburg boys team won the championships. Select Viking runners will compete at the Maryland State Championships at Morgan State University in Baltimore on May 25 and 26.