Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Baseball shuts out Clarksburg on Community Night, 10-0

Fans of all ages came out to cheer for the baseball team on Community Night May 7 as the Vikings dismantled the 1-14 Clarksburg Coyotes 10-0, improving their record to 15-2, the best in Whitman history.

First baseman Ryan McGill warms up with a B-CC youth team before the game. Photo courtesy Jodi McGill.

The game started with team manager Matt Ficca’s ceremonial pitch to Evan Reeves, his buddy of four years in the Best Buddies Club.

The Vikes dominated from the beginning as pitcher Michael Flack threw three scoreless innings and pitcher Michael West followed with two more to end the game. The two pitchers combined for six total strikeouts.

​Third basemen Andrew Castagnetti got the team started early with an RBI double. Along with Castagnetti, catcher Josh Biel, who recorded a bases-loaded triple late in the game, helped bury the Coyotes to seal the Vikes’ fifteenth win of the year.

​“We jumped on them early and kept rolling,” shortstop Patrick Hisle said.

After the Vikings’ dominant performance, community teams ran the bases and won raffle prizes like Chipotle and iTunes giftcards.

​“This game had a great atmosphere,” Hisle said. “There were tons of people there and it made it a lot more fun for everybody.”

The team’s last regular season game was scheduled for May 9 against Kennedy but was called off due to inclement weather conditions. The traditional Senior Night ceremony still proceeded in the cafeteria but the game will not be rescheduled.

The first-seeded Vikes will compete in their first playoff game May 14 at home after a phenomenal regular season, facing the winner of the May 11 Clarksburg vs Gaithursburg game.