Junior wins Congressional Art Award competition

Junior Annie Rice won the Congressional Art Award competition April 30 with “Isolation,” her painting of a girl sitting alone at a table.

Junior Annie Rice poses with Congressman Chris Van Hollen in front of "Isolation," Rice's award-winning piece. Several other students were also recognized in the competition. Photo courtesy Annie Rice.

The contest extended throughout Maryland’s eighth district, and included 260 participants from 25 high schools. Judges selected 95 pieces to be displayed in an exhibition at Rockville art class center VisArts until May 17.

On May 17, Rice’s painting will be moved to the Cannon Tunnel in the Capitol Building, where it will stay for one year.

“I’m really excited that people from all over the country will get to see it,” Rice said.

Recognized artists were invited to attend a celebration at VisArts, where Congressman Chris Van Hollen honored Rice and other participants. Junior Stephanie Buria-Hellbeck received an honorable mention for her black-and-white portrait entitled “Concentration.” Juniors Sydney Markus and Sharlene Kao, sophomore Abby da Silva and senior Jovana Ivezic were also recognized.

“Isolation,” Rice’s winning piece, came from a project Studio Art teacher Jean Diamond assigned in AP Studio Art. Rice feels she connects with her painting on both a realistic and personal level.

“We all feel isolated sometimes throughout our lives, so it’s sort of a universal piece,” Rice said.

Diamond, who has taught Rice since her freshman year, recommended she join the competition. Rice’s most incredible trait as an artist is the sophistication with which she paints, Diamond said.

Diamond also stressed the importance of Van Hollen’s competition to students’ education in professional art.

“Van Hollen said the arts are a reflection of the health of the community,” she said. “He recognizes that this competition is the training ground for artists.”

Rice plans on pursuing other interests in college, but said that anyone who is dedicated and interested in art should enter the competition.

“Keep doing art,” she said. “If you have a piece that you’re especially proud of, just go for it.”