Tri-sport athletes balance school, sports

For all athletes, juggling school and sports for just one season can be tough. But for the few athletes that compete all three seasons, the combination of school and sports is a challenge they face the entire school year.

Since freshman year, senior Rachel Sisco has been a member of the varsity tennis, basketball and softball teams. As a tri-sport athlete and an avid flute player in the wind ensemble, Sisco has adapted to a certain routine in order to maintain success in the classroom and on her teams. Sisco’s limited free time forces her to complete homework promptly.

“Being on three different teams keeps me busy, but I’ve grown to like the routine I fall into with each sport,” Sisco said. “I rely on my busy schedule to actually get work done.”

Senior Michael Flack has played baseball and basketball since he was five years old and began playing football in eighth grade. Flack’s love for sports prompted him to play for all three teams in high school, even though he realized it would be hard to balance sports and school. Despite having little time for homework, Flack manages to keep up with his studies by relying on the strict schedule when in-season.

As a longtime football player, wrestler and baseball player, sophomore Max Sessions grew up staying very active. Sessions’ passion for both competing and having fun in his favorite sports is what drives him to put in the extra effort each season.

“I decided to join three sports because I was raised to love sports and competition,” Sessions said. “I’ve always played three sports ever since I was eight years old, so each sport is a big part of my life.”

Sisco, Flack and Sessions agree that the most difficult aspect of constantly being in-season is the transitions between each sport. Because playoffs often coincide with the beginning of the new season, tri-sport athletes have no break between sports to prepare and adjust for their new season.

“I never have an off-season, so I have limited time to put the extra effort in for a sport,” Sessions said. “I often spend my Sundays on the specific skills I need work on for the season I am in.”

Despite the challenges of being a tri-sport athlete, the trio agrees that their hard work pays off with the different friendships they make through each sport. Being on multiple teams gives them more opportunities to meet a variety of friends that they may have never grown close with if not for sports.

“I like the camaraderie that you get with your teammates while being on a sports team,” Flack said. “Being on multiple teams allows me to interact with all different types of kids.”