Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

For team managers, a glut of work but little glory

Google “famous athletes” and you get pictures of Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and 35 million other results. Type in “famous coaches” and you get Joe Paterno, Mike Ditka and a slew of inspirational movie quotes. But Google “famous team managers” and you get… 18 thousand results and a link to pizza restaurant.

But even though they don’t get the same level of glory as athletes and coaches, Viking team managers play an important part in the infrastructure of a team.

For example, girls basketball team managers Sam Harman and Katie Wollmer filmed every game and kept stats for coach Pete Kenah. Harman even chimed in sometimes on coaching.

“I did it because I really like all the people on the team,” Harman said. “I really like getting to be a part of the team’s victories and losses and watching them all grow as people.”

On the swim & dive team, underclassmen members of the team who compete less are named managers and help coach Geoff Schaefer with time trials and meets. The managers practice with the team and occasionally compete so they can prepare to become regular members of the team the following year.

“A lot of people think that if you’re not good enough, then you become a manager,” swim manager Aaron Dane said. “But that’s not true. The manager’s really important to the coach.”

Although many teams have a manager, the decision of whether to have one is completely up to the coach, as MCPS doesn’t provide any budget for managers, said athletic director Andy Wetzel. Some are paid and others are just looking to be part of the team, but they can’t receive SSL hours for their work according to county policy. Ultimately, the role of a manager is up to the coach, Wetzel said.

“It’s different for every sport,” he said. “Some coaches just want them at games keeping score, and others want them to be at every practice.”

Kenah pays his managers anywhere between $50 to $200 of his own money each season because they’re so necessary to the team. Game film is used when reviewing games as a team and as recruiting material for top players. The managers send the same stats to the Washington Post where they are posted online.

“You’d be amazed how many parents get upset if you don’t [post stats] immediately,” Kenah said. “It’s a really big deal to them. I have to have [managers], and the county just doesn’t help you out.”

In addition to their love of athletics, some managers are drawn to the job by the appeal of team bonding.

“I didn’t have time to do the team this year, but I still wanted to be a part of it,” gymnastics manager Molly Moriarty said. “[The players] all just make me feel included.”

Other managers agreed, saying that although they have a different job than the players, they still get to be part of the team atmosphere and spirit.

“You’re completely part of the team,” Dane said. “It’s still just as fun.”