Baseball ends winning streak againt Churchill

The baseball team lost its first game of the season April 16 against the 3-6 Churchill Bulldogs, 6-1, lowering its previously undefeated record to 8-1.

Starting pitcher Michael Flack struck out the side at the top of the first inning, and the Vikes garnered the first score of the game on an error by the Bulldog first baseman.

In the third inning with two outs already marked against them, the Bulldogs were able to score due to a catcher’s interference call. Then, the Bulldogs hit consecutive singles to raise their inning total to four runs.

At the top of the fifth inning the Bulldogs led 4-1. In the fifth and sixth innings batters Drew Aherne and Flack were able to get on third base, but couldn’t get home. Gabe Steinberg entered as the relief pitcher for the Vikes in the seventh inning, but after walking a batter he was replaced with Michael West.

West walked another batter and threw consecutive pitches that allowed Bulldog runners to steal home twice, widening the Vikes’ deficit. In the Vikings’ final chance to score, the batter got out on first base to end the game at 6-1.

“It’s good to get our first loss out of the way now rather than in the playoffs,” Aherne said. “We just need to turn it around against B-CC and forget the loss.”

Next, the Vikes look for a win against their rivals, the 4-5 B-CC Barons at home April 18.