Triangle Blog: Redskins put pressure on Griffin

The Redskins have made a bold move by trading several draft picks in exchange for a pick that would let them nab Heisman trophy winner Robert Griffin III.  Through the trade, the Redskins would get the Ram’s second overall pick in this year’s draft but the Rams get the Skins’ first-round draft picks through 2014 and the Skins’ second-round pick this year.

A digital image shows what Heisman trophy winner Robert Griffin III would look like in a Redskins uniform. The Skins gave up several future draft picks in order to be in position to pick Griffin in the upcoming draft. Photo from Redskinshogheaven.com.

I don’t want so say whether this deal is good or bad because there’s no way to tell.  Griffin is unbelievably talented and could boost the Skins into a winning team, but the Skins have given up so much to get him that anything besides a successful season next year is a failure.  If he doesn’t meet our expectations, the Skins have screwed themselves over for the next three years.

So for Griffin’s sake, I hope he launches the disappointing Redskins team into the playoffs because if he doesn’t, he is going to need to be put in police protection.