Capitol Steps satirize local and national politics

Audience members howled with laughter tonight as they watched the Capitol Steps “put the ‘mock’ in ‘democracy.”’

Members of the Capitol Steps perform in the auditorium March 11. The musical comedic group poked fun at current election-year politics as part of a fundraiser for Post Prom. Photo by Deanna Segall.

The Capitol Steps, a musical comedic group that pokes fun at current events and satirizes the politics, performed Sunday night to benefit Post Prom.

The group featured songs and acts mocking both classic political leaders, including Barack Obama, Harry Reid and Sarah Palin, and just about every member of the 2012 campaign, including Mitt Romney and Herman Cain. Other acts made fun of some of today’s biggest issues, like Occupy Wall Street, the “going green” movement and healthcare reform.

Sophomore Ben Talisman said he thought the Capitol Steps were humorous and witty, especially since he could relate the content to his government class.

“It was cool seeing it this year because I’m taking NSL and understood all the things they referenced,” he said. “The songs were pretty funny, too.”

One of the funniest parts of the evening was when actor Brian Ash presented a bit called “Lirty Dies,” in which he discussed today’s biggest events but mixed up the beginnings of every couple of words. Also notable was when the characters sang their own versions of popular songs, such Barack Obama’s solo, the “Fiddler with the Truth,” to the tune of “The Fiddler on the Roof.”

While the show attracted and entertained a variety of members of the community, its major purpose was to benefit Post Prom.

“It’s always a lot of fun for us to get out to the high schools and do the show for groups like this to help them raise money and raise awareness of who we are,” Ash said.

Whitman parent Elizabeth Grimsley agreed this was a great way to get adults involved in the Post Prom fundraising process.

“I think it brings a lot of parents that probably otherwise wouldn’t come to other events that we have at school,” she said. “It was a wonderful idea.”