Bocce rolls through tournament with 7-7 record

The crowd is cheering, and the pressure is on. One last roll for the win— a win that keeps the season going. A win that keeps the dream of winning a state championship. For 12 students at Whitman, the Feb. 21 bocce tournament was just that.

Members of the bocce team pose together in front of a sign advertising the Special Olympics. Photo courtesy Leslie Gillman.

The corollary bocce team, which is made up of students with and without learning disabilities, placed fifth in its division at the state tournament with a 7-7 record.

The team was helped by key plays from captain Michael Shapiro and teammates Maurine Yup, Abby Myer and Ashley Amoozdeh.

Coach Steve Sutherland said the team improved throughout the tournament.

“We adjusted well,” he said. “We started out throwing the ball too short, but we got used to the balls being more inflated by the second game.”

Maurine Yup, a roller on the team, said that there was more pressure on the players than what the team had experienced before.

Sutherland agreed with Yup and said that the atmosphere at this tournament was more intense than at other events the team went to.

“There were a lot of people there,” Sutherland said. “People were really into it. Some schools brought fans to cheer them on.”

The corollary bocce team is new at Whitman this season, and most of the members joined the team with little knowledge of the sport. After failing to make the cut to compete in the regional finals, which were held at Whitman, the team prepared for the Maryland State Tournament, the biggest event of their season.

The tournament, sponsored by the Special Olympics, featured high schools from across the state, which Sutherland thought added to its atmosphere.

“I thought it was very well organized,” he said. “I was shocked with how many courts they had.”

Meanwhile, senior roller Erin Holden noted the hectic and lively atmosphere at the tournament. She felt this made the event even more intense, but was proud with how the team worked together and supported each other.

After the tournament, though, the team was split over who the star of the afternoon’s event was.

“Alex S had a really good game,” Sutherland said. “Michael Shapiro provided leadership and won almost every coin toss.”

This story has been corrected since its initial publication.