Boys basketball finishes season with playoff loss to Churchill

The boys basketball team lost to the Churchill Bulldogs in the second round of playoffs, 57-45, Feb. 28, ending its season.

After a nice shot attempt by forward Nick Yockey following the opening tip-off, the Barons gained the first points of the game off a three. Forward Andrew Castagnetti rebounded a ball by the Vikings to put the score at 5-2. The Bulldogs shot aggressively and accurately from outside the line, and the Vikes continued to fall behind during the first quarter, ending at 17-9.

The Vikings kept their intensity going into the second quarter, though they struggled to defend the Bulldogs’ hard drives to the basket and quick rebounding. Guard Robby Lund opened the period with a three-pointer for the Vikes. Guard Billy Lee stole the ball on a Baron play and lobbed it down the court to Castagnetti, who made the easy layup to put the score at 30-18. Forward Daniel Lowet made two free throws to put the halftime total at 30-20.

The Vikes lowered their deficit in the second half. Guard Jake Harrison made an attempt that was rebounded by Castagnetti for a three, and Yockey blocked a Bulldog basket that Harrison converted into another three for the Vikes, putting the score at a close 36-30.

Each team racked over ten fouls apiece, leading to almost incessant stoppage in play for foul shots. Both Harrison and Yockey fouled out with three minutes left. The game finished with the Vikes losing, 57-45.

The loss ends the Vikes’ postseason aspirations. With only three seniors graduating, the team returns the majority of its players next season and aims to use its experience to improve its record.