Girls swim and dive wins first state title

The swim team performed well at the state championships Feb. 25, as the girls won Montgomery County’s first state title.

The girls swim and dive team won states Feb. 25. It was the first time a Montgomery County team competed in the state meet. Photo courtesy Geoff Schaefer.

The girls finished with 321 points, 30.5 points above the second-place Wootton Patriots. The boys finished fifth with 169 points, trailing local rivals Walter Johnson, Churchill, BCC and Wootton.

The team of Reia Tong, Victoria Kuhn, Audrey Gould and Charlotte Meyer won the 400-yard freestyle relay in record setting time, finishing in 3:35:05. Tong, Meyer, Gould and Sarah Kannan also took first place in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Gould placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:06:48, while Tong placed first in the 50-yard freestyle.

The boys swam well in the relays, with the team of John Mooers, Jacob Taswell, Adam Bloom and Patrick Scordato finishing third in the 200-yard freestyle relay and fifth in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Scordato also finished first in the 100-yard butterfly.

“We didn’t really know what to expect because it was our first state meet,” Tong said. “Our swimmers really stepped up and performed well.”