Boys basketball outlasts BCC, moves onto second round

The boys basketball team advanced to the second round of playoffs with a 41-39 first round victory over the BCC Barons Feb. 25.

The Barons, who had beat the Vikings during both regular season meetings, got off to an early 12-4 lead. Things began to look up for the Vikes when forward Jake Harrison hit a three to push the score to 12-7. In the final seconds of the quarter, forward Anton Casey’s shot for three hit the rim and was rebounded for a basket by Harrison who also made the foul shot to tie the score at 12-12.

The Vikes increased their lead in the second quarter, led by the aggressive offense of forward Daniel Lowet and rebounding efforts of forward Michael Flack. The half ended with the Vikes up 21-16.

Harrison and forward Andrew Castagnetti started the half off with two three pointers to increase the Vikes’ lead to 27-17. The team maintained a solid lead until late in the fourth quarter, when the Barons began to advance with points earned off of foul shots. The Vikes’ lead narrowed to 37-36 with one minute left. Harrison made two foul shots to put the team up 39-36, but the Barons returned with the three-pointer that tied the score at 39-39. Play grew increasingly frenzied, and Castagnetti made a basket to put the Vikes up 41-39. In the final moments of the game, the Barons made a three-point attempt that bounced off, securing the Vikes’ 41-39 victory.

The win was especially sweet for the Vikings after having lost to the Barons both times during the regular season.

“It felt great to beat them,” Harrison said. “They beat us twice in the regular season so it felt incredible to beat them in the only game
that matters. The atmosphere at the game was insane and when the buzzer sounded and everybody stormed the court it was just incredible. The Vikes officially run Bethesda.”

Next, the Vikes advance in the playoffs to take on the 17-5 Churchill Bulldogs at Churchill Feb. 28.