Girls basketball ends regular season at 13-9

The girls basketball team crushed the 8-14 Clarksburg Coyotes, Feb. 21, 63-37, improving its record to 13-9.

The team jumped out to a quick lead against the struggling Coyotes, and never looked back.

In the first quarter the Vikes offense clicked early on, but the Coyotes kept the score fairly close. The Vikes took a 14-8 lead heading into the second.

There the Vikings’ usually dominant half court defense lessened its grip and allowed the Coyotes to score 10 points. However, the team kept its high octane offense alive and was able to outscore Clarksburg 15-10.

After the halftime break the Vikes stormed out of the locker room and with help from strong shooting by point guard Rachel Sisco. The team won the third quarter 17-8, making the score on the game 46-26.

The fourth quarter was much like the third with the Vikes  making a majority of their shots on the offensive end and locking down on defense. The girls outscored the Coyotes 17-11 to cap off their second win in a row.

Sisco led all scorers with 19 points including three 3-pointers. Forward Linn Bumpers contributed 15 points en route to a double-double of her own.

“It was good that our offense was able to run smoothly tonight,” point guard Kim Durante said. “Hopefully we can keep our win streak going into playoffs.”

The team travels to Magruder to face the  3-14 Magruder Colonels for its first game of the playoffs Feb 24 . The Vikes previously defeated the Colonels, 58-44, when the two teams met Dec. 14.