Guy Auction raises over $7,500 for leukemia

Girls shrieked louder and louder as the price went higher and higher for a Wizards game with juniors Patrick Hisle and Liam Hatch. After a long bidding war, juniors Linn Bumpers and Lindsay Herschfeld bought the boys for $810, the most expensive date of the night.

Senior Nathan Golightly pretends to roast marshmallows on stage Feb. 9 at Guy Auction. Golightly and senior Thomas Colton went for $610. Photo by Billy Bird.

The SGA collected over $7,500 in bids alone for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at the third annual Guy Auction Feb. 9. Senior Melissa Kantor and junior Cindy Wang emceed the night, auctioning off creative dates ranging from Cirque du Soleil to outdoor rock climbing to thrifting.

Bumpers and junior Molly Houston also bid $610 for a bonfire date with seniors Nathan Golightly and Thomas Colton.

“I had two blank checks, so I didn’t want to lose,” Bumpers said. “I got into it, and I was like, ‘I’m going to win.’”

Upperclassmen boys took to the stage throwing candy, spraying silly-string and singing to drive up the bidding. The most expensive dates were the Wizards game with Hisle and Hatch for $810, the bonfire on the Potomac with Golightly and Colton for $610 and the Shabbat dinner with seniors Ari Kapner, Andrew Feder and Adam Bloom for $600.

Junior Jacob Rosenblum opened the show and raised $200 with his a tour of gluten-free restaurants in D.C.

“I’ll absolutely be doing it again next year,” Rosenblum said. “I wanted to do it because I’m attractive, and I get to use it for charity.”

[imagebrowser id=79]