Boys basketball snaps seven-game losing streak against RM

The boys basketball team beat the 8-9 Richard Montgomery Rockets, 59-57, Feb. 1, improving its record to 4-13 and breaking its seven-game losing streak.

The Vikes took an early lead in the first quarter, outscoring the Rockets 13-5. Forward Nick Yockey dominated in the key, blocking shots by the Rockets and grabbing rebounds for extra points. Twice forward Daniel Lowet took advantage of breakaways to push past defenders for a layup. The Rockets caught up in the second quarter, tying the score at 13-13, but the Vikes managed to edge past again to end the half up 20-16.

The game tightened up in the fourth quarter, a point where teams like B-CC and Wootton had been able to steal a win from the Vikes in the past. The Vikes’ lead bounced between four and eight points in the final minutes of the game, and the team had an edge of 56-52 with 20 seconds left. Forwards Andrew Castegnetti and Michael Flack made three foul shots with seven seconds left to put the team up 59-55. The Rockets made a last-second layup, but the game ended with the Vikes winning 59-57.

Guard Jake Harrison and Castegnetti shot on point, amounting for 19 and 18 points, respectively, and racking three three-pointers each.

Guard Max Steinhorn said that the Vikes are aiming to finish the season on a positive note.

“We played a really close game with RM last time and it was really nice to break our losing steak,” Steinhorn said. “We are looking to take this as a momentum-builder.”

Next, the Vikes take on the 14-3 Springbrook Blue Devils at home Feb. 3.