Triangle Blog: Pro Bowl Reaction

The best players in the NFL gathered Jan. 29 in Hawaii for the NFL Pro Bowl, and the game can only be described as pathetic.

Quarterback Drew Brees, left, chats with NFC teammate Larry Fitzgerald during the Pro Bowl game Jan. 29. Photo from Deadspin.com.

For the past couple of seasons, the Pro Bowl has gone downhill.  The players are treating it like a complete joke, and their complete lack of effort proves the game has become worthless.

After the ball is hiked, the linemen play patty-cake with each other, and the quarterback launches the ball 60 yards to a wide-open receiver whose centerback has barely been involved in the play.

The reason why we voted for the players to be in the Pro Bowl was to give them an opportunity to show off their talent and prove that they are the best in the league.  Not to chill on the beach and have a practice.

I’m not saying that the players need to go as hard as they can to the point where someone could get hurt, but they should try enough that it still looks like a real contact football game.

Also, people need to start voting for the best player, not the biggest or most famous.  No disrespect to the skills of Ray Lewis, but he barely played all season and other linebackers had better stats.

Both the league and the fans need to change the way the Pro Bowl is run, and until then, 2012 may be the last year I watch this game.