Senior Kaitlin Payne wins Whitman Idol, sophomore runner-up

Twelve students in bright flowing dresses or cowboy boots sang and shimmied their way across the stage Wednesday night at Whitman Idol. The annual talent competition raised about $2,700 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Senior Kaitlin Payne sings Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi," a performance that earned her the title of Whitman Idol. The talent competition Jan. 25 raised about $2,700 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Photo by Billy Bird.

This year, audience members could purchase bonus votes for $1 each to support their favorite singer and the cause against cancer. After the audience voted, senior Kaitlin Payne won with her rendition of Joni Mitchell’s “Big Yellow Taxi.” Sophomore Calvin Schalch, who sang “Colder Weather” by the Zac Brown Band, was runner-up.

Payne started singing in ninth grade and discovered her love of performing for the first time as a junior.

“I always really love performing,” Payne said. “It’s such a great feeling because you can’t really see anyone in particular. It’s kind of all a blur, but you know people are watching.”

Seniors Ari Kapner and Maria Camargo emceed the event and introduced the first performance,  a rousing group song and dance to Britney Spears’ “Crazy.”

Senior Elena Aragon kicked off the competition with a soulful rendition of Adele’s “One and Only,” and other students performed songs from a variety of genres, from jazz to country.

Junior Sofie Todd sings a song she wrote called "So This Is Love," and played guitar. She was the only one to sing an original song. Photo by Billy Bird.

Though the majority of participants sang covers of songs by popular artists, one original piece stood out. Junior Sofie Todd performed “So This is Love,” an song inspired by her girlfriend that she wrote.

“It’s a little bit confusing and a little bit difficult,” Todd told the audience after Kapner asked what it’s like to create a song. “You have to get up out of bed when you can’t sleep and just write down whatever comes to mind until something good comes out.”

Senior Sasha Berger directed the show, and senior Sarah Backenstoe produced the show. After dedicating many hours after school to the event, Berger said she enjoyed working with the many talented singers.

“I just love seeing all the talent,” Berger said. “I’m always so blown away. It’s easy to be director because everyone is already so talented. I just have to be nitpicky. But it’s a lot of fun.”

Teacher judge Greg Herbert (center) calls senior Emilia McNally's performance "vanilla," but pregnant teacher judge Sheryl Freedman said her baby was kicking to the song. McNally sang "Many the Miles" by Sara Bareilles. Photo by Billy Bird.

Assistant principal Jerome Easton and social studies teachers Gregory Herbert and Sheryl Freedman judged the event this year.

“I just really enjoy seeing the kids outside the classroom and doing something they’re very passionate about that they enjoy,” Herbert said. “It gives me a true appreciation for who the student is.”

Herbert acted as a more critical judge compared to the other judges, who stuck to complimenting the performers.

“In all honesty, I think they’re all great. I think it takes a lot of confidence to go in front of an audience like that and to be honest, I thought they were all very good.” He said. “But me being a little more critical than the other judges, I think you need that dynamic in a show like this.”

While the votes were counted, junior Emma Keteltas, last year’s winner, performed “Creep” by Radiohead in a special final performance, accompanied by sophomore Carson Lystad.

“I thought everybody was really great this year,” Keteltas said. “I had no idea who was going to win coming into it, and after everybody had gone, I still didn’t know.”

[nggallery id=74]