Girls basketball fails to keep pace with Churchill

The girls basketball team lost its second straight game, 58-30, against the 12-2 Churchill Bulldogs, Jan. 24, putting its record at 8-6 on the season.

Forward Kristina Feldesman charges down the court during the Vikes' 58-30 loss to the Churchill Bulldogs. Photo by Melissa Kantor.

Like the boys team, the girls had trouble finding their offense early on, and were never able to establish an offensive rhythm. The Vikes scored only one field goal in the first quarter and entered the second quarter trailing 15-2.

The Vikes struggled to stop the Bulldogs’ transition game, and although their offense fared better in the second quarter, they ended the half down 27-12.

After the half time break, the girls came out strong, and lost the third quarter by only three points, 17-14. But the offensive surge was not enough as the team ultimately scored only four points in the fourth quarter compared to the Bulldogs 17 points.

Guard Rachel Sisco led all Vikes scorers with nine points, including a three pointer.

“It was a tough loss,” forward Linn Bumpers said. “It’s never fun losing to our rivals so close to playoffs.”

The team looks to turn things around when they travel to BCC to play the 1-13 Barons Jan. 27.