Hockey defeats BCC, 10-4

The hockey team defeated the BCC Barons, 10-4, Jan. 20, bringing its record to 6-1.

Forward Alex Gandolfo helped the Vikes get on top of the game early, scoring a goal on a power play with 11:55 remaining in the first period. The Barons answered with a goal of their own only 15 seconds later. However, Seth Butler answered with a goal only 10 seconds later, giving the Vikes the 2-1 lead, which remained until the second period.

Two minutes into the second period, Seth Weintraub stole the puck in the Barons defensive zone, resulting in a goal. Only minutes later, Butler netted his second of the night.

Later in the period, Gandolfo scored another three goals, giving the Vikes a 7-1 lead heading into the third period.

Butler put in another goal only early in the third,  his third of the night. The Barons answered by putting two goals past goalie Zach Butler. However, Seth Butler helped out by putting in his fourth goal of the night, finishing the game with a total of eight points from four goals and four assists.

After another goal for each team late in the period, the Vikes sealed the 10-4 victory.

Butler said he was impressed the team’s effort throughout the game.

“We did really well with our forecheck, putting lots of pressure on them and forcing them to turn it over or dump-it virtually every time,” he said.  “Additionally, we did really well getting pucks and body’s to net, while finishing our opportunities.”

The team seeks another victory when it goes up against the Sherwood Warriors Jan. 27 at Cabin John.