Nicknames help teams bond on and off the field

Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Jack “The Golden Bear” Nicklaus, Babe “The Sultan of Swat” Ruth—some athletes are as famous for their nicknames as their performance.

Junior Gabe Steinberg, left, was nicknamed "Kenny Powers" by his baseball teammates in a reference to the TV character played by actor Danny McBride, shown in the fake baseball card on the right. Photos courtesy Gabe Steinberg and Jon Baas Blog.

At Whitman, nicknames are as transcribed into sports as the cowbell or the golf cart, just ask junior baseball player Gabe “Kenny Powers” Steinberg, or senior soccer player Nick “Big X” Xourias.

Steinberg’s nickname is based off a character from Eastbound and Down, a TV show that follows the life of fake ex-baseball player Kenny Powers. Although Steinberg isn’t as boisterous or arrogant as the Kenny Powers from the show, the nickname still stuck.

“I am a pitcher like him but I’m not cocky as he is,” Steinberg said. “I also am not self-centered like him, and don’t have other obnoxious qualities Kenny has.”

Although Steinberg said he wouldn’t want any other nickname, if he had to have another, he’d probably choose “The Rocket” after pitching great Roger Clemens.

Nicknames are important to teams, Steinberg said, pointing to how nicknames can help bonding.

“They build team relationships and strengthen bonds between players, which is important to team chemistry,” he said.

Junior Krishna Jaitly, whose field hockey teammates call her “Lord Krishna,” also believes nicknames are important for team bonding and for creating closer relationships between players.

“I think nicknames are important because they provide an inside atmosphere that I share with my close friends,” Jaitly said. “It brings us closer together and it’s fun.”

Jaitly’s nickname stems from the Hindu god Lord Krishna. She received the nickname after several team members learned about the god during history class and thought it would be a good name for her.

Jaitly likes the nickname, but except for the similarity between her name and Lord Krishna’s name, she doesn’t think the nickname fits.

“Kirsh would be a good [nickname],” Jaitly said. “But this one is fun and an unusual addition.”

Xourias, whose nickname “Big X” was intended to be both a play on his short stature and a compliment to his tenacious play on the soccer field, also doesn’t think his nickname fits him.

“I like it because it’s funny and ironic,” Xourias said. “It doesn’t accurately describe me but I like it anyway.”