Hockey falls to defending state champion Churchill

The hockey team lost its first game of the season, 4-3, to the Churchill Bulldogs Jan. 6, bringing its record to 4-1.

Forward Andy Dexter skates to support a teammate while Churchill goalie Jake Sherker looks on. Photo by Melissa Kantor.

Churchill recorded its first goal near the end of the first period and added another at the beginning of the second period. Forward Alex Gandolfo quickly responded to the second goal, however, shooting the puck from the left side past the goalie barely a minute after the Bulldogs’ second goal.

Churchill scored again before the end of the second period, but Viking forward Lucas Karron answered within minutes. Karron finished with a goal and an assist for the game.

With only minutes remaining in the third period, the Bulldogs deflected the puck past goalie Matt Bruns to make the score 4-2. Bruns was pulled with under two minutes remaining so the Vikes could have an extra attacker on the ice. In the ensuing play, Gandolfo shot the puck at the goalie several times before finally sneaking the puck into the net for his second goal of the night.

Despite the momentum from their third goal, the Vikes remained trapped in their own zone during the final minute of regulation and were unable to record another goal.

The teams will meet again Feb. 10 in the last game of the season.

The Vikes now turn their focus towards their next matchup, when they host the Walter Johnson Wildcats Jan. 16 at Cabin John.