Boys basketball falls to rival BCC, drops division record to 1-2

The boys basketball team lost, 53-49, to the 7-3 BCC Barons Jan. 6, lowering its overall record to 3-7. 

Power forward Nick Yockey, left, blocks his opponent's shot lane while guard Max Steinhorn positions himself defensively. Despite a 16 point lead in the third quarter, the Vikes were unable to hold off the Barons and eventually lost, 53-49. Photo by Melissa Kantor.

The Vikes won the tip-off, but the Barons pulled ahead in the first quarter with an eight-point streak, giving them an initial lead of 8-2. The teams evened up to 10-10 by the end of the first quarter.

The Viking offense came back strong in the second quarter, scoring 20 points as opposed to BCC’s 11 points. The half finished with the Vikes leading 30-21.

Center Jemal Cheatham proved himself unstoppable once again in the second half, as the Barons’ defense struggled to block his hard drives to the basket. The Vikes were ahead by as much as 16 points in the third quarter, but BCC came back to narrow the Vikes’ lead to only two.

The crowds grew more rampant by the middle of the fourth quarter, and the Vikes faltered under the pressure. The Vikes led 46-41 with four minutes left, but the Barons fought back with a lay-up and three-pointer, tying the score at 46 with 2:50 left.

The Barons increased their lead with three-pointers and foul shots. Guard Billy Lee made a shot from outside the arc in the last few seconds, but it wasn’t enough for the Vikes to catch up.

Next, the Vikes host the 8-3 Wootton Patriots at Jan. 10.

[nggallery id=72]