Burning off holiday sweets with January sweat

Have too many gingerbread men, too many cups of eggnog or too many candycanes left your jeans feeling a little too snug after the holidays? For those of you out there suffering from post-holiday bloat, the Spectator has put together a list of exercises that can help you shed those pounds—without the monotony of the treadmill.

Down Dog Yoga:

Kickboxing is one way to lose excess holiday pounds, with hour-long classes burning around 1,000 calories. Photo courtesy of LA Boxing.

Down Dog Yoga, whose heated vinyasa flow yoga offers a combination of strength and cardio workout, is the perfect way to lose weight while unlocking your chi at the same time. Beware of the heated aspect of the class, however—the classroom is heated to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit in order to make it more difficult. By the end of the class, you’ll feel like you’ve sweat more than you have in your entire life.

LA Boxing:

Want to release your anger while also getting in a good workout? If so, LA Boxing may be the place for you. The gym offers both boxing and kickboxing classes to all levels. In an intense one hour class, you’ll go from having no clue how to box to feeling like you’re Rocky. The class will start out at an easy pace, but by the end you’ll be reaching for your water bottle. Be prepared to work hard—in just an hour you’ll burn 800 to1,000 calories!

Barre Burn:

A mix of yoga and ballet, Barre Burn incorporates weighted poles to test balance and light hand weights to tone your arms, legs, and core. The moves can be a bit repetitive, but Barre Burn is a great class to try if you’re interested in joining Equinox. With dance music and a high-energy instructor, Barre Burn is much more exciting than your typical yoga class. Classes at Equinox.

Zumba:

Are you more into salsa than sit-ups? If so, the increasingly popular Latin dance cardio workout known as Zumba might be right for you. The class features pulsing Caribbean beats and incorporates classic dances like salsa and meringue along with reggaeton and bellydancing. Whether you’re an experienced dancer or have two left feet, Zumba is a fun way to get in low-impact cardio workout. Classes at Sport and Health, Equinox and Joy of Motion Dance Studio.