Skiers, snowboarders prepare to hit the slopes

With temperatures dropping and snow days approaching, students are eagerly awaiting the chance to get out on the slopes. For some students, skiing and snowboarding is more than just a hobby, it’s a passion.

Senior Peter Riz has been skiing for as long as he can remember and said the sensation of skiing compares to no other sport.

“I love skiing because of the great feeling of freedom and adventure it brings,” Riz said.

Riz skis almost every weekend during the season.  His favorite ski areas include Park City and Breckenridge in Colorado. When skiing locally, he prefers White Tail and Liberty. This winter, he has trips planned for Wisp, Mont Tremblant in Canada and the annual Breckenridge school trip.

Senior Clara Schneider, who switched from skiing to snowboarding at age 11, also plans to go on the Breckenridge trip this year.

“I like going on the Breckenridge trip because the skiing is great and you really have a lot of freedom,” Schneider said. “It’s nice to be able to hang out and ski with your friends.”

For Schneider, snowboarding is a chance to let loose and simply enjoy her time outdoors.

“I love to snowboard because it’s really relaxing and it’s so much fun just flying down the mountain,” Schneider said.

Sophomore Libby Collett learned how to ski at age three while she was living in Canada.. After moving to Maryland at age seven, Collett joined the ski team at Liberty for a year before her family bought a cabin in Canaan Valley, West Virginia. Collett is currently a member of the ski team at Timberline and practices every week throughout the winter.

“I’ve made so many ski team friends at Timberline so I try to ski every weekend,”  Collett said.

Although skiing is major time commitment for Collett, she looks forward to the start of the competitive ski season.

“I have skied ever since I was little and I have grown up doing it,” Collett said. “It’s a part of my life. I love skiing, it’s one of the highlights of my year.”