Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Wrestling pins Gaithersburg, 51-27

The wrestling team dominated the Gaithersburg Trojans, 51-27, Dec. 13, extending its undefeated record to 2-0.

106 lb. wrestler Harriet Symington battles a member of the Gaithersburg Trojans. The Vikes dominated the Trojans, 51-27, to remain undefeated. Photo courtesy Richard Leighton.

Once again, the Vikes started out strong, as Jack Calder, Andrew Cullinane, Rafi Sayada, Bradley Taylor, Max Sessions, Jacob Shiman, Josh Daryoush and Harriet Symington all pinned their opponents relatively quickly, inflating the score to 48-0. However, five of the following six Viking wrestlers lost, narrowing the margin to 51-27.

106 lb. Symington, a returning starter, wrestled in her first varsity match of the season, pinning her opponent after 2:36 of hard wrestling.

Shiman, who wrestled 220 lb., had the fastest pin of the match, bringing his opponent down in just 19 seconds.

“It went really quickly,” Shiman said. “He just really didn’t defend my shot, and then he flipped over, so all I had to do was drag him over.”

Although the Trojans’ strength was farther down in their lineup, Cullinane said that the Vikes were able to win the match by taking advantage of the weak opening lineup.

“We were truly a team today,” he said. “We picked it up for the guys that had to wrestle harder kids.”

Also of note, 285 lb. Daryoush placed first at the Magruder’s Mad Mats Tournament Dec. 10. At the same tournament, 195 lb. Max Sessions took third.

The Vikings hope to continue their winning streak as they travel to take on Churchill and Sherwood Dec. 17 at 1:00 p.m.