Season Preview: Swim and dive teams use depth to their advantage

Following up on last year’s impressive performance, the boys and girls swim and dive teams aim to repeat as regional powerhouses.

Members of the girls swim team congratulate each other during Metros last year. The girls team aims to capture its third straight Metros title this season while the boys try to improve upon last year's tenth place finish. Photo courtesy of Geoff Schaefer.

The girls team steamrolled its opponents over the past two years on its way to claiming first place at Metros for both seasons, while the boys team finished tenth last season at Metros.

The girls team returns Charlotte Meyer, Reia Tong, Victoria Kuhn and Audrey Gould, members of the record-setting 400-meter free relay team.

The Vikes’ biggest rivals will be the BCC Barons and the Blair Blazers. Despite its talent, Meyer says that the team needs to maintain a motivated mentality during the season in order to succeed.

“Some people could be overconfident because of winning Metros the last two years,” she said. “Everyone needs to remember to continue to work hard.”

Returning for the boys team are senior captains Stephen Rodan, Adam Bloom and Sam Woodbury, but the team’s strength comes from its talent from all the way through the roster, Rodan said.

“We have a lot of fast swimmers as well as good depth,” he said. “Our season should come down to a matter of out-touching our opponents.”

Despite the graduation of UNC diver Emily Schmidt (’11), the dive team will stay dominant. Head coach Geoffrey Schaefer believes that freshman Michaela Johnson will contribute right away.

“Replacing Emily is impossible at this stage,” he said. “But [Michaela] is definitely going to have an immediate impact.”

While the Vikings have the talent necessary to win Metros, Schaefer said that the pieces need to come together in order for the teams to claim victory.

“[Winning] depends on if we have the right chemistry and the right lineup,” he said. “We should be able to take back what is rightfully ours.”

In their faceoff against the BCC Barons Dec. 10, the boys won while the girls lost in a close meet.

For the boys, sophomore John Mooers won the 100 and 200 yard freestyle with times of 50.72 and 1:59:41 respectively. Mooers, along with Ben Bouvier, who won the boys 100 yard butterfly in 57.15, carried the boys team to an impressive victory by a score of 94-77.

Despite missing eight of its top swimmers, the girls team tested a strong BCC squad and almost came through with a victory, losing 85-76.

Hallie Kellet and Katie Mahaffie took first and second in the girls 100 yard freestyle with times of 58.29 and 58.91 respectively.

“We need to reboot against Churchill,” Schaefer said.

The team takes on the Churchill Bulldogs Dec. 17 at Montgomery Aquatic Center.