Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

At least 35 students cited at party, may face consequences in extracurricular activities

Police gave as many as 35 students citations for alcohol possession and consumption at an unsupervised party in the Carderock neighborhood Dec. 10, Montgomery County Police said.

Students identified as having received citations will not be able to participate in some extracurricular activities between now and winter break, principal Alan Goodwin said. Goodwin said he is relying on word-of-mouth and students’ confessions to identify students who were cited.

Students involved in multiple extracurricular activities will only be punished in one activity. Goodwin said he is working with club and team sponsors to determine appropriate punishments on a case-by-case basis. For example, students on sports teams will most likely miss the next two games, Goodwin said.

“Although this party was not on school time, we have a policy at Whitman that students who are cited at parties suffer a consequence at school, especially if they are somehow representatives of Whitman,” Goodwin wrote in a letter to students sent home yesterday.

These consequences have been in place for several years, but administrators often don’t find out about students who have received citations since the police doesn’t forward that information to principals, Goodwin said.

Goodwin admits that he won’t be able to punish all the students who drank at the party since many didn’t receive citations.

“If they ran away and they weren’t cited, then what can I do with that?” Goodwin said. “There’s going to be some people that are sitting comfortably, as they’re getting away with it.”

Goodwin spoke to the leadership class and expressed his disappointment at how the school was represented.

“We do understand the gravity of the situation,” senior Abhi Setlur said. “We’re going to take it as it comes.”

Students who receive a citation for their first underage drinking offense must pay up to $500 in fines, according to Maryland law. The parents of the party host don’t face fines because they were not home and were unaware of the party.

Assistant principal Jerome Easton made an announcement yesterday discouraging students from attending unsupervised parties.

“I have seen numerous examples of students having fun this year without drinking,  from Battle of the Classes to athletic events, to musical and dramatic performances, to just sitting in the halls talking to each other,” Goodwin wrote in the letter. “Please find ways to have safe fun.”