Girls basketball defeats QO, advances to 3-0

The girls basketball team maintained its undefeated record, beating the 1-1 Quince Orchard Cougars, 64-50, Dec. 12, moving its record to 3-0.

Guard Alex Purdy started the game off strong with a three pointer. The Vikes’ aggressive attitude on defense led to many Cougar turnovers.

The team effectively utilized set in-bound plays and offensive schemes to find loopholes in the Cougars’ defense.

Point guard Rachel Sisco’s jumper at the end of the first quarter put the Vikes ahead 18-13 heading into the next quarter.

The second quarter was much like the first, with more turnovers and fast breaks in favor of the Vikes. Going into the half the team led 36-23.

Within a few minutes of the second half, the Cougars gained momentum and went on an offensive surge, tying the score at 44 going into the fourth quarter. The Vikes outscored the Cougars, 20-6, in the fourth quarter, sealing the 64-50 win.

Forward Lindsay Herschfeld and center Kristina Feldesman led all scorers with 14 points, and Sisco finished with 13.

“It was a hard fought game,” forward Linn Bumpers said. “We came out strong and let up a little bit after the half, but in the end a win is a win.”

The team plays the 2-1 Magruder Colonels, Dec. 14, at home.